Saturday, October 03, 2009

Cloth Paper Scissors Open Studio Event TODAY!!!!!


Come with me on a tour of my studio for the Open Studios Event from Cloth Paper Scissors!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My studio is in the basement, or half-basement of our home. It opens to the backyard where I have a quiet sitting area and a garden which inspires me in my creative work!

Here is the garden with a birdbath. I love painting birds in my artwork and collages. They are even creeping into my quilting and fiberarts!

This door is painted one of my favorite colors, turquoise, and going through it takes us on into the studio.

Just inside the door is a watercolor angel which I painted. Perhaps she represents my MUSE, in any case she is a very welcoming presence!



Other watercolor angels from a different period in my life show are shown in my "Fallen Angel" painting.

********************************************************

A collection of art dolls from a bloggers art exchange hangs on one wall. These friendly creations seem to get along well together!

A clock and a collage are hanging near the back door. I often include clocks in my art work, BUT have been known to loose track of time when I am creating! [Click on any art work for a closer look!]


The small half-bath in the studio has completely collaged walls. This was one of my most fun projects, ever! I found wallpaper which had a text, blue on pale yellow and used it behind the images of my collage.


Part of my fabric stash at the moment....


Storage for sewing and art supplies are in this old handmade armoire and a chest of drawers rescued from the curb. The little white cabinet on top of the chest of drawers was from a thrift store. Mermaids hang on pegs nearby!


The rear view of the sofa shows a hand-appliqued quilt top which I will soon hand quilt. The little turquoise shelf holds one of my whimsical watercolors.



I love to piece and machine quilt on this antique Singer 301 and it's original table.


A turquoise painted wooden shelf holds art work by others and includes my totem crow feather.


I love storing my fabric and projects in bins and baskets on wire shelves which are tilted for easy viewing and access!

An old primitive armoire and rescued from the curb chest of drawers you see below, hold more fabric and supplies. I can sit at the Bernina and look out the window at my little garden. I found a "boombox" stereo at the Salvation Army and have enjoyed much music as well as books on tape while down here in my wonderful space!



Thank-you for visiting my creative world. Bookmark this site and please come back soon!


16 comments:

Lila Rostenberg said...

gemma said...
Oh I'm thrilled to see your studio on this tour. You are so organized.
What a great space you have Lila.
Just wonderful!

5:18 AM

Lila Rostenberg said...

I had to refresh this post and moved gemma's comment.

Rebecca E. Parsons/Cre8Tiva said...

i so loved the tour of your creative space...please come see mine when you have a chance...love the angel muse...so much inspiration here...hugs, rebecca

virtuallori said...

I love the art all over the walls, and the nature view. I need to do more with my little balcony... Thanks for sharing your lovely space.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

So nice to have the garden right outside the door. A lovely space to sit, reflect and have a cuppa. Thanks for the tour!
Cheers
Mary Anne

Judi B said...

I LOVE your collaged half-bath wall. How cool is that! Thanks for participating in the tour. It has been such fun so far visiting all the other blogs. Stop by mine if you have a chance and have a virtual cup of tea with me.

Amy in Austin said...

Lila - Love the studio and the dolls. I too am a dollmaker and have been working on a new one whilst browsing the QA openstudio's blogroll. I'll be back to visit your site and see your work!

Marty Mason said...

Lila, what a great studio you have...and an original sewing table for your Singer 301 - oh my!Your outdoor sitting area ia just the cat's meow! Thanks for sharing all your fun with us.

Tami @ Lemon Tree Tales said...

What a great place to make those beautiful quilts. I love the collaged bathroom walls ... fabulous idea! And I see that you like turquoise/aqua as well. :-)

Anke Martin said...

HI Lila, my Studio is half basement half not....yours it towards the garden though! That's wonderful, I bet you enjoy the view everytime you create in there! Smiles, Anke ;)

di from di-did-it said...

How lovely to have a garden with a bird bath just outside your studio. Thanks for sharing your space with us!

Melly Testa said...

I could easily work in your space. Organization is key for me. Nice work too.

Magpie Sue said...

What a lovely space! Your angel painting makes a wonderful muse.

Rebecca E. Parsons/Cre8Tiva said...

lila you won my giveaway...please contact me with your mailing addy...rebecca

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

i love your door!
and the fact that it leads to your garden, wonderful! that would be my dream one day to make come true.
And I got to see lots of art, your art!!!
After I saw your post I went to borders to buy themagazine and am planning to read and see all the pictures in my way home so Ican't wait to get more ideas in my head ;-)
Thank you for sending me the link, thank you very much!
Happy creating in your lovely studio!
and yes play with the words and break the rules ;-)

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Great studio, especially love the welcoming entry and the vintage metal porch chair...those are fabulous as is your studio!